Rodrigo N. Banegas, M.D.
Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Banegas is an American board certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in Hand and upper extremity surgery. His areas of expertise include hand, wrist and elbow trauma as well as post traumatic disorders. In Addition, his areas of expertise are peripheral nerve conditions and chronic degenerative disorders of the hand, wrist and elbow.
Dr. Banegas is a bilingual (English and Spanish) physician who did the medical school at National University of Rosario, Argentina, Medical School. Then, he did his residency in one of the top programs in Argentina at the Emergency Hospital Dr. Clemente Alverez, National University of Rosario, Argentina. After graduating as an orthopedic surgeon he completed 2 years of training as hand and upper extremity surgeon at the Argentina Society for hand and upper extremity. Then, his practice for 5 years when he decided to get more training in hand and microsurgery in the USA.
He was selected to do his American training at one of the most prestigious institutes in the world, the Christine M. Kleinert Institute for hand and microsurgery in Louisville, Kentucky in association with University of Louisville Medical School. After his training he was hired by the Kleinert Institute to lead the hand surgery service at the University of Louisville hospital and to lead the harvesting team for the hand transplantation program at the Christine M. Kleinert Institute.
In 2012. Dr. Banegas joined Denver Health Medical Center, a trauma one center also known as the Knife and Gun Club. Here, he created the peripheral nerve institute and he was part of the reimplantation hand trauma team. He was also Associate Professor of University of Colorado, School of medicine, Orthopedic department. His works in Academics allowed Dr. Banegas to obtain his American Board certification in orthopedics.
During his academic carrier he published many scientific articles and book chapters and trained dozens of orthopedic residents and hand surgery fellows. He also served to the undeserved Latin community of Denver, as director of the Latin Health Fair. He has several wards, the most resent was the mentor of the year due to his work in the health interest group aim to help students with limited access to medical education.
Finally, Dr. Banegas moved to Boca Raton area to join Orthopaedic Surgery Associates where he will be happy to bring his expertise to the community.
• National Technological University, Rosario, Argentina (1986-1988) • National Industrial School Number 2, Rosario, Argentina (1980-1986).
• National University of Rosario, Medical School. Rosario, Argentina (1988-1994)
• Internships: National University of Rosario (1994-1995):
– Internal Medicine: Centenary Provincial Hospital
– Pediatrics: North Zone Children’s Hospital
– Orthopedics: Emergency Hospital Dr. Clemente Alvarez.
• Orthopedics, Chief Resident, Rosario National University, Emergency Hospital Dr. Clemente Alvarez. Rosario, Argentina (1998 – 1999)
• Special rotation during Residency. Department of Children Orthopedic Surgery Pediatric Hospital Juan P. Garrahan, Buenos Aires, Argentina (May to August 1997)
• Orthopedics, Rosario National University, Emergency Hospital Dr. Clemente Alvarez, Rosario, Argentina (1995 – 1998).
FELLOWSHIPS AND POST-GRADUATE EDUCATION
• Hand Surgery scholar. Christine M. Kleinert Institute for hand and microsurgery (May 2008 to April 2009). Louisville, KY
• Hand and Microsurgery Senior fellow (second year fellow), University of Louisville, Christine M. Kleinert Institute (2007 – 2008). Louisville, KY
• Hand and Microsurgery first year fellow, University of Louisville, Christine M. Kleinert Institute (2006–2007). Louisville, KY
• Hand, Upper Extremity and Microsurgery two years post graduate training. Argentine Association of Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery of the Upper Extremity (AAHS&RSUE) 2001-2003. Buenos Aires, Argentina
• International visiting physician at Christine M. Kleinert Institute (July 2004). Louisville, KY
• International visiting physician at Houston Hand and Upper Extremity Center (November – December 2002). Houston, TX
• International visiting physician Hand surgery center. Saint Joseph Hospital with Dr. Julio Taleisnik (September to October 2001). Orange County, Los Angeles, CA
• International visiting physician at Christine M. Kleinert Institute by International Center of Orthopedic Education of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons AAOS (AprilMay-June 2000). Louisville, KY.
• Associate professor. Orthopedic Department. University of Colorado School of medicine 2019.
• Assistant Professor. Orthopedics Department. University of Colorado School of Medicine (2012 to present)
• Faculty. AO Trauma North America for hand and wrist. (2009 to present)
• Hand Surgery Clinical Instructor. “Gratis Appointment”. General surgery department, University of Louisville. Louisville KY (2008-2012)
• Professor. Ethics. Superior Institute for Physical and Sport Education. Lifeguards school. Rosario, Argentina (1999-2006)
• Professor. First Aid and CPR. Superior Institute for Physical and Sport Education. Lifeguards school. Rosario, Argentina (1999-2006)
• Instructor. Water rescue. Superior Institute for Physical and Sport Education. Lifeguards school. Rosario, Argentina (1999-2006).
SUMMARY OF EMPLOYMENT
• Orthopedic Hand and Microsurgery. Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, CO. (2012 to 2019)
• Attending at Christine M. Kleinert Institute for hand and microsurgery, Louisville, KY. (2008-2012)
• Orthopedic and Hand Surgeon at “Depetris Center for Orthopedic Surgery”, Rosario, Argentina. (2003-2006)
• Orthopedic and Hand Surgeon at “Laprida Medical Center”, Rosario, Argentina. (1999-2006)
• Attending Orthopedic and Hand Surgeon at Rosario’s Emergency Hospital. (2004-2006).
• Argentinian Society of Orthopedic Trauma. Honorary member. Buenos Aires, Argentina since 2015
• Paraguayan Society of Anatomy and Morphology. Honorary member. Ciudad del Este, Paraguay since 2015
• American Medical Association since 2014
• Rocky Mountain Hand Surgery Society. Colorado, Denver (2012-2014)
• European Society of Wrist Arthroscopy since 2010
• The International Society for Brachial Plexus and Peripheral Nerve Injuries since 2010
• AO American Orthopedics (wrist and hand section) since 2009
• American Society for Surgery of the Hand, candidate member (expired in 2009)
• Kleinert Society since 2007
• Argentinian Society of Hand Surgeons since 2003
• Argentinian Association of Orthopedic Surgeons, Buenos Aires, Argentina since 1999
• Association of Orthopedic Surgeons of Rosario, Argentina since 1998
• Medical Association of the Santa Fe Province, Rosario, Argentina (1994-2006).
• Moderator of an expert’s panel. Latin Health Fair. Denver, CO, November 8, 2015
• Director of the Latin Health Fair. Denver, CO, November 23 2014
• Speaker at the Latin Health Fair. Common medical problems “open discussion with Dr. Banegas. October 23, 2013
• Speaker at the Latin Health Fair. Peripheral nerve issue October 23, 2013
• Extra-walls surgeries. Underserved native population. Oaxaca, Mexico, July, 2013
• Univision Spanish news show interviews about health-related issues and recommendations: – Drug additions during the pregnancy, “Used of marijuana during pregnancy”. February 7, 2015 – Controversies about Flu vaccination. December 5, 2014 – How the cold weather affects the air way. November 13, 2014 – Recommendations about severe storms with lightening and flooding. Base in my experience as a lifeguard and lifeguard instructor during more than 10 years in South America. August 26, 2014 – “The Hand of God, Dr. Banegas”. Part 1 (April 24, 2014) and Part 2 (April 25, 2014). Motivational history broadcasted in around 50 cities in the USA about Dr. Banegas and his family immigration from childhood to his professional life at Denver Health.
• La Capital newspaper. Information/interview about hand transplantation program
• Rosario Express Magazine’s, “The Master Hands” interview about the advances in orthopedic hand surgery and the hand transplantation program. Number 37, 78-80, March 2011
• Head of a rescue brigade of Red Cross. Rosario Flooding. Rosario, August 1989.
• American Board Certified by American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons. Passed oral part 2 exam July 25, 2019.
• American Board Eligible by American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons. Passed ABOS part 1 2018
• Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Division of Workers’ Compensation, Level II Accreditation (Limited accreditation to Neurology, Upper Extremity) December 21, 2017.
• USMLE/ECFMG passed Step 3. October 17, 2007.
• Hand, Upper Extremity and Microsurgery. Board Certification by Argentine Association of Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery of the Upper Extremity (AAHS & RSUE). After passing the examination, among the top 5 scores. Buenos Aires Argentina 2003
• ECFMG certification in Medical Doctor, Step 1 and Step 2 computerized section, Buenos
Aires, March and April 2001. Clinical skills assessment (CSA). Philadelphia, PA 2002
• Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. Argentine Association of Orthopedic Surgery. Certification by board exams in August 1999. Baigorria University Hospital, Rosario, Argentina, August 1999
• Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. Certification by Santa Fe Province Medical Board and Rosario National University. Rosario, Argentina, May 1998
• State of Colorado: Full medical license – DR-50797
• State of Kentucky: Full medical license, (Inactive)
• State of Indiana: Full medical license, (Inactive)
• State of Kentucky: Fellow license (Expired)
• State of Indiana: Fellow License (Expired)
• Santa Fe Province: Full medical license, Argentina (Inactive).
INVENTIONS, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND PATENTS HELD OR PENDING
• Supra-aponeurotic retractor (SAR) for cubital tunnel release surgery. Temporary patent, Louisville, KY (2010-2011). Project no longer active since 2012.
EDITORIAL AND REGULAR REVIEWER POSITIONS
• Argentinian Journal of Orthopedic Surgery since 2016
• Editorial board reviewer – Patient Safety in Surgery (2013 to present)
• Editorial board reviewer – Injury (2010 to present)
- Amy Nguyen, Kyros Ipaktchi, Meryl Livermore and Rodrigo Banegas. Mycobacterium Chelonae Infection of the hand presenting as a collar-button abscess. Hand Surgery, Vol. 20, No. 1 (2015) 1–3.
- Jennifer Wagner, MD; Kyros Ipaktchi, MD, FACS; Meryl Livermore, MD; Rodrigo Banegas, MD. Current Indications for and the Technique of Wrist Arthroscopy. Orthopedics-The Cutting edge. April 2014 Volume 37. Number 4: 251-256.
- Bohn K, Ipaktchi K, Livermore M, Cao J, Banegas R. Current Treatment Concepts for “Terrible Triad” Injuries of the Elbow. Orthopedics 2014, 37(12).
- Ipaktchi K, Seidl A, Banegas R, Hak DJ, Mauffrey C. Pirogoff Amputation in a Bilateral Traumatic Lower Extremity Amputee: Indication and Technique. Orthopedics 2014, 37:397-401.
Kyros Ipaktchi, MD; Meryl Livermore, MD; Christopher Lyons, MD; Rodrigo Banegas, MD. Current Concepts in the Treatment of Distal Radial Fractures. Orthopedics- trauma update. OCTOBER 2013 | Volume 36 • Number 10: 778-784.
- Jose Couserio,*Mahoney Cobb, Yorell Manon-Matos* and Rodrigo Banegas, Retiform Hemangioendothelioma of the finger: a case report. Hand Surgery, Vol 18, No.3 Received 12 Feb 2013; Revised 13 June 2013; accepted 13 June 2013/ Oct 29, 2013.
- Kyros Ipaktchi MD, Adam Kolnik MD, Michael Messina MD, Rodrigo Banegas MD, Meryl Livermore MD, Connie Price MD. Current surgical instrument labeling techniques may increase the risk of unintentionally retained foreign objects: a hypothesis. Patient Safety in Surgery, https://www.pssjournal.com/content/7/1/31. September 30th 2013.
- Kaufman CLO, Ouseph R, Blair B, Kutz JE, Tsai TM, Scheker LR, Tien HY, Moreno R, Ozyurekoglu T, Banegas R, Murphy E, Burns CB, Zaring R, Cook DF, Marvin MR. Graft vasculopathy in clinical hand transplantation. Am J Transplant 2012 Apr;12(4):1004-16.
- Banegas R, Moreno R, Duggal A, Breidenbach WC 3rd. Surgical aspects of donor hand recovery for transplantation. J Reconstr Microsurg. Jan 2012;28(1):21-6.
- Capomassi M, Banegas R, Mora P, Sullitel M. Scapula Fractures. Journal of the Rosario’s Orthopedic and traumatology association. Vol 2 No 1, 58-65, 1999.
- Banegas R, Post-traumatic forearm nonunion, Argentinian Journal of orthopedic and traumatology. Vol. 4 Number 2, 47-54, 1999.
Honors and Awards
• Mentor of the year. Health Interest Group. Denver Health and University of Colorado. May 2019
• Town Council Award for “Ankle Fractures: Our Experience”, Rosario, Argentina, August 1998
• Nomination to “The Notables” citizen award, La Capital Newspaper. For my participation in the hand transplantation program in Louisville, KY. Rosario, Argentina 2010.