Being young, you don’t really think too much about your future – one in which your body might not be as healthy as it is now. We usually don’t make a connection between our lifestyle and the health issues that occur later in life, even though most conditions are caused by a lifetime of neglect, i.e. not taking care of your body, not seeing your doctor as soon as you notice the first symptoms, not recognizing that the life you live today will influence the way you feel tomorrow. We often just ‘live for the moment’ without seeing the outcomes of our actions. As a result, our health suffers.
Knee Pain – Causes
Aching knees can prevent you from living life to the fullest. They can significantly decrease your mobility, making it difficult to perform normal, everyday activities like walking, driving, even getting out of bed in the morning. This isn’t the life you would choose for yourself, is it? The good news is that knee pain can often be prevented. It’s usually a matter of taking better care of yourself and avoiding risk factors, such as:
- Obesity – excess weight increases stress on your knee joints. Additionally, it increases the risk of degenerative joint disease by accelerating the breakdown of joint cartilage.
- Weak muscles around the knee joint – Weak muscles don’t provide enough support for the joint and therefore make it prone to pain and injury.
- Osteoarthritis – the most common type of arthritis, it occurs when the cartilage in your knee deteriorates with use and age.
- Previous injuries
- Infections – e.g. untreated laryngitis can cause joint pain
- Exercising inappropriately – without protective gear, without warming up or cooling down, etc.
- Bad diet – diet rich in inflammatory foods, including sugar, saturated fats, and dairy
Orthopedics in Palm Beach County – Are you a good candidate for knee replacement surgery?
Unfortunately, in some cases, the knee will require surgical treatment. Knee arthroscopy (aka knee replacement) is recommended when a patient suffers from chronic knee pain caused by a degenerated joint. You should consider surgery if:
- The pain makes it impossible for you to sleep or perform normal, everyday activities
- You suffer from arthritis of the knee
- Your knee is significantly damaged (e.g. due to injury)
- Other treatments have proven ineffective
Knee replacement surgery is a relatively simple procedure during which the doctor removes the damaged joint and replaces it with an artificial one. It significantly improves the patient’s mobility; most importantly, it makes the pain go away. It can literally change your life.
Orthopedics in Palm Beach County – If you are suffering from knee pain, we strongly encourage you to seek help from an orthopedic specialist in your area. If you’d like to find out more about possible treatments for knee pain, or talk to one of our orthopedic doctors in Boca Raton or Boynton Beach about your options, have a look at our website or use our online form to schedule an appointment with one of our doctors. We look forward to seeing you soon!
This article was written on behalf of the practice by RedCastle Services. RedCastle specializes in Online Marketing for Doctors, including Medical SEO, SEO for doctors, and Medical Website Design. Contact RedCastle Services today to find out how we can help your practice increase its number of online patient referrals.